I'm doing some research relating to Acadian material culture, and came
across a brief mention of domestic sundials. The reference is originally
from "Chéticamp, histoire et traditions acadiennes" (CHIASSON, Fr. Anselme,
1961, Moncton). There is a passage describing the construction, layout and
furnishing of Acadian homes in Chéticamp, Nova Scotia. The houses being
described were built rather hastily by Acadians returning after the
Deportations*. The period of construction would have been the late 1700s.
Fr. Chiasson mentions that a few of the original houses remained standing
until the end of C.19th. They were simple one room structures built of wood,
with a loft used for storage and as a bedroom for children. Although he
doesn't mention the roof materials, I think it is likely to have been straw
thatch since that was the norm in the period before the deportations, and so
the eaves would presumably have been too uneven and fuzzy to act as the
style of a sundial.

The fragment of interest translates to "There were notches in the window
sash by which it was made possible to tell the time according to the sun's
rays".

The document gives the impression that it was normal for Acadian homes to
have these devices. They were peasant homes, but it seems to me that the
notches were more than a simple noon mark. After all, it says "there were
notches", not "there was a notch". Can anybody tell me or hazard a guess as
to what type of sundials these would have been? Also, based on C.18th
practices in North America or in France, is the assertion that most Acadian
homes had such a dial likely to be true?

Thanks, Steve

* That's when the English expelled the Acadians (descendants of French
settlers) who refused to give allegiance to the King of England. Under the
Treaty of Utrecht, France had ceded Nova Scotia to the English and assigned
the population to be English ever more. Unfortunately the Acadians didn't
agree that the King of France had any business turning them into English
people. Years later some were able to return to the region but not to their
original homes, hence the establishment of a new community at Chéticamp on
Cape Breton Island, which still under French control. Others migrated south
and became the Cajuns.