Hi Fer,

Ahh!  That explains the single knife cut sundial then!!  Thanks!
So you hold the blade down, edge to the left and flat like the
horizontal plane with your thumb up and along the polar axis then
draw it toward you while rotating around your thumb as a fixed axis.
Yep, that winds up being vertical at the 72 degrees west of south,
just like it should be. ( here at 43.126 degrees North Latitude ) (
well, if you are right handed anyway. )

I never could understand the thumb tilt thing til I received this
explanation.