Hello Helmut,

Good question, how to proof this.
There are a number of  things I know and I have read about this but when and
where?
I'l try to find it back.

I started in a special brochure with all kind of stuff about analemmatic
sundials, written in 1993 by Marinus J. Hagen, fouder of our sundial
society,
in Dutch.

A paragraph is written about these arcs, also called "Lambert's Circles".
Noted is that:
Details may be found in an article by René R.J. Rohr in our bulletin nr. 2
of 1989. This article is in German.
The same is written in the BSS bulletin july 1989 in English.

Lambert ( 1728 - 1777 ) has written about these circles in:
Beyträge zum Gebrauch der Mathematik und deren Anwendungen, Berlin 1770, 2.
Teil, S 314.

This is what Hagen wrote.

In Rohr's articles we may read the proof of these circles and as I see I
noted
that Rohr's article is also published in Schriften der Freunde alte Uhren
Band XXVIII, 1989.
I guess you know the SFAU.

And indeed, there also is Rohr's article with the title Der Lambertsche
Kreis, page 129-137.

As I noted in that article there is a typing error on page 133.
A formula should read R cos phi, not R / cos phi.

Hope this information is good enough to find you asked for.

Best wishes, Fer.

Fer J. de Vries
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.iae.nl/users/ferdv/