Fernando Cabral wrote:

> Since I wrote a message about hoaxes I have been bugged
> [...]
>
> The only acceptable attitudes about virus and hoaxes are:
>
> 1) Delete them
> 2) If you want to know for sure if it is a real virus or a hoax,
>    check some of the sites where this kind of information is
>    logged. - as Donald Petrie mentioned,
> http://securityresponse.symantic.com
>    is one of those sites.
> 3) If you think some of your friends might need help about virus
> and
>    hoaxes educate them on a person-to-person basis. Eliminate
>    any possibility that your teachings be taken as a "chain"
>    or "pyramid" because if you don't your teachings themselves
> may
>    become a "hoax".
> [...]

I agree totally with Fernando, except that the URL Don Petrie gave is
to be read http://securityresponse.symantec.com (tEc not tic) or
http://www.sarc.com where you can not only get information, but also
(freely) test your system and even get free removal tools for common
current viruses.
Please note I have no relations with Symantec (besides using some of
their products). Other known anti-virus sites include:
Panda: http://www.panda.com
McAfee: http://www.mcafee.com

I might also mention that there are various sites (e.g. the above
mentionned) where you can subscribe to serious e-mail letters warning of
real new viruses (and sometimes of hoaxes too). That's a fourth
acceptable attitude, recommended to those interested in the subject.
In any case, it's individual responsibility to protect one's computer
correctly, which seems indispensable if you use e-mail and the Internet,
and that means installing and using a good and up-to-date anti-virus
program.

In addition, this list is about sundials and closely related matters,
not about just anything, from political feelings to virus (genuine or
else): remaining within the broad focus of a list interest is also part
of the 'Netiquette'...

Kind regards to all,
Thierry vs
50.5 N 4.3 E