<x-rich>Hi John,

PDF has a number of graphics formats. There is the high resolution one based on TIFF technology and used for printing fine documents and a very lossy form of JPEG format for very small and only viewable on screen. If sending to a printer the first should be used, to be small and viewable, the second. JPEG has a very wide range of size/quality reduction as well. JPEGs can be made very small by first reducing the size of the drawing/artwork/image in pixels to something like the 320 X 240 size, then saving it as a low res jpeg file. Done this way the JPEG will actually be somewhat smaller than the PDF, although not much. A number of PDF Print to file programs offer in their options to default to one or the other of the possible picture archive formats internally. The full Acrobat being only one of them since Adobe made their PDF file format open source. I enjoy the PDF format greatly since it has so many possible image formats and can tie the entire document together at the same time.

Enjoy the Light!

Edley McKnight

[43.126N 123.527W]

John Wrote:

> I often email drawings and pictures of sundials to clients and people on
> this list. But I always have to be careful not to send too many at once,
> or my email will reject my mail for being too large. To email photographs,
> I use JPEG format. And to send Delta Cad drawings I scanned the drawing
> and send it as a JPEG. I had always thought that JPEGs where the best
> format to use for emailing because the files are small and everybody can
> open them.
>
> It occurred to me to compare the file size of a typical JPEG photo to the
> same photo in PDF format (I thought for sure the PDF would be the larger).
> To my amazement, the PDF file was 20% of the size of the JPEG! The JPEG
> was 240 KBs. and the PDF was only 46 KBs. This allows me to quickly email
> more pictures on my crummy 56K modem.
>
> As for emailing Delta Cad drawings, now I don't have to scan them and send
> as JPEGs. I can save and send these as PDFs too, and the quality is much
> better than a scanned JPEG.
>
> Perhaps PDFs will replace JPEGs as the photo format of choice in the
> future. What do you think?
>
> John
>
> John L. Carmichael Jr.
> Sundial Sculptures