The spring equinox was about at 3-20-2002 18:50 UT
 Midsummer is about at  6-21-2002 13:10 UT
 The autumn equinox is about at 9-23-2002 04:40 UT
 The difference between the time from spring equinox to midsummer on one
 hand and the time from midsummer to autumn equinox on the other hand is
 about 21:10 hours.

 One should suppose there will be no difference in time between the
 positions of the sun at declination 23.44ƒ to 0ƒ and between the
 positions at declination 0ƒ and -23.44ƒ.

 Can anyone give me an explication of this difference?

 Willy Leenders,

you found experimentally that seasons have not the same lenght!! You found
also Equation-of-Time. Look at http://www.analemma.com/

My best regards

Piero Ranfagni

The equation of time contains two factors, one due to the inclination of the Earths axis to the plane of its orbit and the other is due to the variation in speed of the Earth in its orbit. See http://www.uwrf.edu/sundial/Eqntime.html . The variation of speed which is due to the elliptical nature of the Earth's orbit (Kepler's Law of Areas) is the contribution which causes the effect Willy Leenders describes. We are closest to the Sun on Jan 4th and hence moving fastest, hence in the Northern hemisphere Winter is shorter than Summer:-)

--
Emeritus Professor John P.G.Shepherd
Physics Department

Phone (715)-425-6203