Hal,

For various dialing purposes,  I've used recycled plastic jars or bottles as markers.
At first I would fill the milk-white type with soil or sand, screw the lids on, and
paint numerals on what would normally be the containers' bottoms.  I later took to using
clear (peanut butter) jars, so I inverted them, and painted the markings on the lids.  Buried
to a bit above 'grassroots-level', but below mower-blade-minimum, they have been pretty
stable and reliable.  Over some four or or five years,  I've not seen trouble with frost-
heaving, but of course recent winters have been mild.  Still, there has been a fair amount
of  'freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw .....' action.  Perhaps it helps that the earth fill inside is
similar to its surroundings, including thermally, and that the smooth, cylindrically-walled jars
do not convert depth-dependent differences in horizontal compressive forces into vertical
vectors?

Bill Maddux