Hi all:

Yesterday, I saw a VCR video tape that that a volunteer took of us marking
the Kitt Peak sundial. The best part of the movie was of the penumbra
rapidly moving along the projection screen just before, during and after the
morning style shift when the bottom style shifts to the east style that is
higher up and further away. During the shift, Bob kept moving the shadow
sharpener back and forth in one hand, and he kept measuring the penumbra's
width with a ruler he held in the other hand. Its width changed from 30cm
before to 55 cm after and it took about a minute for the shift to occur.

The movie was even better at fast forward! Except at fast forward the VCR
has those annoying horizontal moving distortions on the TV screen.  Do you
think I can eliminate this distortion by converting a VCR tape into digital
form (a DVD or something similar?)  I also want to edit out the bad parts.
I'd really like to include my little style shift movie in my PowerPoint
presentation for the NASS conference, but I'm not sure how to do it.
(Somebody told me that there are files called mpegs, like jpegs but for
movies).

Thanks

John

John L. Carmichael Jr.