Message text written by INTERNET:sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de

>I'm sure there must be many list members conversant with fluid flow who
might be able to comment on a possible alternative which occurred to me
viz. is it at all likely that turbulence caused by the deeply-incised
lettering would somehow cushion the lettering and its immediately
surrounding areas and protect them from wind-borne sand etc. while flat
areas took it full in the face?<

Very interesting - it would be nice to know.  We do see this effect quite a
lot on very old UK dials and most such dials are South -ish facing - at
least I have not recognised any trend to say that this effect is only
present on dials with certain declinations.  Aren't our winds predominately
from the SW?  I suspect that if it were caused by wind generated turbulence
we should expect to see some bias in the weathering to one side of the
letters.  I don't recall that but will now try and have a look!  (Anything
to divert me from decorating...!!)

Patrick

Forwarding addresses:
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.dunelm.org.uk/homepages?patrick_powers
Lat:     N  51d. 49m. 09s:  Long: W 00d. 21m. 53s