"Bonjour à tous,"
Hi fellow shadows watchers !

"Je dois dire que je suis très gêné pour répondre en anglais, car mes mots sont
trop limités pour ce sujet précis."
I must excuse me for this quite bilingual answer !
the topic is very precise, but I guess that my words will not be quite exact to
say what I mean.

I'm working with a sandstone hewer (or carver) ("un tailleur de pierre"), and
he gave me two reasons for this unusual erosion :

1 The force given to the cutting tool enters in the stone. Small pieces of
stone are gone away (the work of the hewer itself !)
and other part of the force is making little "amorces de rupture" in the stone.
this will reveal only years later, with erosion of
wind, water, ice....

2 Between the lines, the hewer decided to use special tool, ("gradines,
marteline, boucharde") made of multiple teeths, to add
an effect on the stone, or to . This effect will also facilitate the work of
erosion, with centuries.

Friendly yours