John et al,

>So here's my two questions to Bill:
>
>1. How much did your camera cost  (If you don't mind telling)?
>2. Does your camera have changeable lenses?
>2. Since it is digital, can you make a close-up shot digitally without a
>close up or telephoto lens?
>3. How close to your subject can you get and still stay in focus?

Having soldiered on for years with an early Kodak digicam with a 2x zoom
and a useful 8" 'macro' focus used for most of my distributed JPEGs I
eventually bit the bullet and upgraded to a Nikon CoolPix 5700 mainly
because of its 8x optical plus 4x digital zoom.  It will also focus right
down to 30mm or 1.2" distance without additional lenses.  Certainly is is
a high-end choice but if you need a camera which will get closeups of
those way-up-high sundials or a crisp image of 'nit on a gnat's nut' this
little wonder has everything packed into a beautifully engineered
magnesium alloy body.  How I wish I'd bought it for the BSS Austria trip.

A word to the wise - OPTICAL zoom is the thing.  Digital 'zoom' just
clips the middle from the image.

Tony Moss.