From:                   "John Carmichael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     "Roger Bailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Copies to:              "Sundial List" <sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
Subject:                Maximizing photo quality
Date sent:              Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:19:36 -0700
Send reply to:          sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de

Hello Bill & Roger:

After having reviewed and edited at least a couple hundred photos sent to
me from everybody at the conference, I had a chance to compare the photo
qualty produced by several different methods. My goal was to find out
which method produced the finest and sharpest digital on screen viewing
resolution. This is what I learned:

1. The worst quality photos are produced from scanning prints.

2. The best quality photos (taken at about 4 ft. distance) were taken on
Bill's handheld digital 4 megabyte Olympus Camedia D-40.

3. Roger's method of having a photoshop digitally develop his 35mm film
directly onto a CD produced excellent results far better than scanning,
but still not as good as Bill's digital camera.

4. Digital CD's from film are somewhat expensive at 17 dollars for 24
exposures.

Roger and I have been thinking that his film on CD method is best because
we were both scared of the high cost of good digital cameras.  Also, I
don't think the cheaper digital cameras have interchangeable lenses for
close-ups or telephoto shots. (or do they?)

So here's my two questions to Bill:

1. How much did your camera cost  (If you don't mind telling)?
2. Does your camera have changeable lenses?
2. Since it is digital, can you make a close-up shot digitally without a
close up or telephoto lens? 3. How close to your subject can you get and
still stay in focus?

(Watch out Bill, Roger's liable to designate you official photographer at
the Conference in Banff!)

John

John L. Carmichael Jr.
Sundial Sculptures