Sending it won't be necessary.  If I can't find it, I'll get it at the
library now that you've told me the name of the story.

I do remember that this "nightfall" was the reason for the continuing
cycle of civilizations on the planet.  Each time night fell, society
would disintegrate and have to start all over.  Groups did have partial
recollection of the reason for the cycle, but those groups were
considered extremists.  Some of the scientists who had discovered the
cycle were trying to avoid society having to start from scratch by
saving a select group of people along with records.  I believe that,
along with the fact that "history" is more subjective than we generally
think, was the point of the story.  The eclipse was the tool to make
the points about society.

Once I read it again, I'll think more on the possiblities of the
eclipse.  As I recall, though, it didn't seem realistic.  Especially
with multiple (three?) suns, it seems that a long-term eclipse would be
almost impossible, and if one were possible it would start very, very
gradually.  Do you remember the details of the eclipse occuring, and
whether or not they conform to reality?

Albert Franco
[EMAIL PROTECTED]