Tom Egan wrote (08 March 2004 07:28)

"Let's see ... what senses are left?  Smell.  Taste.  Sound.   I'd
better quit while I'm ahead."

But perhaps we shouldn't rule them out completely, even if not
appropriate in this particular application? (I'm going to leave out
taste, though, as licking the parts of a public sundial might raise some
eyebrows.)

The increased temperature on one of a number of areas could cause a
scent to evaporate most strongly there and be most detectible e.g. at
one of a number of openings.

And a mechanical linkage operated by temperature could alter the
frequency of vibration of one tuned element relative to others so that a
change in pitch could be discerned? (I don't think the straightforward
effect of differential temperature on elasticity and linear dimension
would suffice unless some odd material with something akin to a phase
change near the operating temperature for the day could be used, nor
would the change of speed of sound in air on a tuned cavity resonator or
pipe be enough.)

Not easy to accomplish - but when you next come across the Smellodial or
the Suntuner, remember, you saw the idea on this list first (Or did

Regards
Andrew James

This correspondence is confidential and is solely for the intended
recipient(s).
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy,
distribute or retain this message or any part of it.
If you are not the intended recipient please delete this correspondence from
your system and notify the sender immediately.
This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl