Message text written by tony moss
>I recall being
'smacked' by a BSS lady member for using a 'clock makers' IV' in my early
attempt at Roman numerals some years ago.<

The Romans used both at different times during their Empire with IIII
rather more frequently overall.  There is no right or wrong and one should
feel able to use whichever you prefer.

I have been recording the usage of Roman numerals for 4am/4pm in the BSS
Register for some time now - usage actually varies with type of dial but
overall out of 446 dials which show 4am or 4pm and where I have now entered
this sort of detail, 273 use IIII and 173 use IV.  Does that help 'dress
the wound' you received...? - it certainly appears to mirror the Romans'
actual usage...!

Patrick