I have been enjoying the comments on estimating wall declination,
especially those which have the ring of experience about them.

I am prompted to offer the following Consumer Guide to the
methods I have used over the years (and two I haven't).  I
am sure that many readers will be able to add to my list:

 1. Architect's Drawings

  A typical Architect's site plan includes a very convincing
  ornamented letter N enfolding an arrow.  The arrow usually
  points at some arbitrary angle with respect to the sides of
  the paper.  Alas, the angle is also pretty arbitrary with
  respect to true north.  I have known errors up to 15 degrees.

  Verdict: Avoid like the plague

 2. Large-Scale Maps

  Good maps may well stem from very careful surveys but the
  representations of buildings are often more suggestive than
  accurate.  You can often determine latitude and longitude
  to high precision but should treat the orientation of a
  depicted wall with great caution.  You also have to worry
  (in the U.K.) about distinguishing grid north from true
  north.

  Verdict: Avoid

 3. Magnetic compass

  Subject to numerous caveats you ought to be able to get good
  results.  You have to be sure that there isn't a hidden iron
  drain or some such nearby and, of course, you need to know
  the local magnetic variation.  The method is no use if the
  magnetic dip is too large.

  Verdict: Avoid

 4. Using Solar Azimuth - General

  Carol Arnold, John Davies, Tony Moss and Bill Gottesman have
  described variants of the same idea: use the sun!  I have
  used all these and more.  I am not keen on plumb lines [they
  don't keep still and if you use a bucket of water to dampen
  the swings you just get a bowed string!].  If you make many
  observations widely spaced in hour-angle you can get a
  result better than 10 arc-minutes.

  Verdict: Fair to Good

 5. Using Solar Azimuth - Window Ledge Method

  If you simply place a sheet of paper on a window ledge with
  one edge firmly against the inside of the bottom of the window
  frame you can often get the vertical edge of the window frame
  or a vertical glazing bar to cast a shadow.  You draw a line
  just ahead of the (moving) shadow and note the time that the
  shadow reaches the line.

  Typical window ledges are close to horizontal and the sides
  of windows are approximately vertical so this can be quite
  accurate.

  Verdict: Fair

 6. Using Solar Azimuth - Letting the client do it

  What do you do if you have to rely on someone else?  The
  instructions I have given overseas clients (for example)
  are as follows:

    Find a flat board, a sheet of squared paper, a
    spirit level, a wooden pencil and a digital clock
    (preferably one that is radio-controlled and shows
    the date as well as the time).

    Place the board against the wall and place the squared
    paper on the board with one edge against the wall.
    Place the clock on the piece of paper.

    Check that the board is level and stand a pencil so
    that it balances on its blunt end (this is an added
    check that the board is level).  Arrange that the
    pencil casts a shadow that falls across the squared
    paper.

    Take several digital photographs (preferably over
    several hours) which show the paper, the pencil,
    the shadow and the clock.  E-mail me the results
    the same day.

  By counting squares I can get a reasonable estimate of
  the angle the shadow makes to the wall.  The rest is
  as for 4 and 5.  Make sure that you know how the time
  on the clock relates to UTC.

  Verdict: Fine if there is no other way

 6. Using GPS

  An up-market approach using GPS kit exploits two GPS
  receivers each slaved to the other so that the relative
  phase-angles of the signals received from each satellite
  can be compared.  You let the system run for 6 hours or
  so and via a good deal of software you can determine the
  position or one receiver relative to the other to about
  5mm.  Their absolute positions will not be known to
  such precision but that doesn't matter.

  Using a 50m baseline, a 5mm error means you can determine
  the azimuth of the baseline to about 20 arc-seconds.

  You then use standard surveying techniques to find the
  declination of your wall.

  You have to take care not to get stray reflections so
  you should be high up on something solid.  Scaffolding
  will not do!

  This works splendidly even if it is cloudy.  The snag is
  the cost.  The kit costs about $80,000 and is obviously
  expensive to hire.  It is suitable for high-budget
  sundials only!

  Verdict: Wonderful if you have a rich client

 7. Cassini Method

  When setting out camera obscura noon marks a technique,
  which I think is due to Cassini, is first to note the
  point on the floor perpendicularly below the hole in
  the roof (immensely difficult to determine accurately)
  and then draw concentric circles round that point.

  Next you plot the hyperbolic path followed by the
  image of the sun on a given day and, with luck, the
  image will cross some of the circles twice, once
  before and once after noon.

  Taking these crossing points in pairs, find the
  mid-points.  They should align with one another
  and with the point perpendicularly below the hole.

  This is your north-south line.

  Verdict: Fine if you are Cassini; I haven't tried it!

 8. Using Stars

  A technique used by the surveyors responsible for
  digging railway tunnels in the 19th century was to
  follow a circum-polar star round the celestial pole
  and note its most easterly and most westerly points.
  Half-way between is due north.

  This sounds easy in theory but needs the right kit,
  the right kind of experience, a clear night, thermal
  clothing and considerable skill.  I cannot imagine
  how they avoided freezing to death in the U.K. winters!

  Verdict: Not for beginners

Incidentally, real walls can be a right pain!  They aren't
flat and they aren't vertical and you can easily come to
grief.  For large wall dials, a good deal of practical
dialling amounts to a hard slog analysing survey data
and undertaking laborious error analysis, but that's
another story.

Frank King
Cambridge, U.K.