Mike:
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you and the group about the
Fredericton Soldiers' Barracks sundial. I don't know if the Soldiers' Barracks
sundial made it into Mrs. Gatty's book or not (I have ordered the book through
inter-library loan but it has not arrived yet) but Mrs. Gatty was made aware
of the sundial by her daughter, Juliana, in a letter dated 5 October 1867. She
said "... I have found another dial ­ but it has no motto. It is in the
Barrack Square. But there do seem to be dials in this part of the world,
which is a great point ­ & I keep an eye open as you know." And she included
a sketch of the dial <http://gauss.gge.unb.ca/sundials/sundial.ewing.jpg>.
The letter is reproduced in Canada Home: Juliana Horatia Ewing's Fredericton
Letters 1867-1869, edited by Margaret Howard Blom and Thomas E. Blom, and
published by the University of British Columbia Press, 1983.

Also, for those interested, I've made a scan of the brochure that was prepared
when the sundial was reconstructed:
<http://gauss.gge.unb.ca/sundials/SundialBrochure.pdf>. In the photo, which
dates from around the turn of the century (the one before the last), the
sundial is barely visible behind the tree. The brochure inclcudes the table
of corrections for EoT, longitude, and daylight saving time.

-- Richard

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Mike Cowham wrote:

>Dear Richard,
>    In your reply to John Carmichael about EoT + Longitude Correction Table
>you mentioned a sundial at the Fredericton Soldiers Barracks.  This
>immediately started bells ringing in my brain because this is the place where
>Alexander Ewing and his wife Juliana were stationed in 1867-9.  If you don't
>know the connection, then I should tell you that Juliana Ewing was Mrs
>Gatty's second daughter - Mrs Margaret Gatty, who wrote the famous Book of
>Sun-Dials.
>    There HAS to be a connection with the Gattys.  Perhaps you know the
>story?  I think that the origins of the sundial are really worth following
>up.
>
>Regards,
>Mike Cowham.

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/