Hello all:

In the past, dialists have discussed the techniques, tools, and materials for installing sundials directly into stone (i.e. a metal or stone vertical wall sundial that is inlaid directly into a building's outer stone wall or a stained glass sundial that's set in a window opening as well).  The key word here is "mortars".

I'm in a stained glass discussion group, similar to our sundial group.  Right now we are discussing mortars used to install stained glass windows in stone walls.  I thought some of you might be interested in the expert opinion and experiences of Mr. Geoffrey Wallace.  I believe his mortar recipe would work equally well for inlaid stone and metal sundials also.

From: Geoffrey Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mortars
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004

Linda et al,

Thanks for raising this very interesting subject, you do help to keep
this forum moving along.

We use traditional lime putty mortar for bedding our windows as it is
tried and true and sympathetic to both the building fabric and the
windows.  From your description of a mortar with a brittle crust and
soft interior I believe we are talking about the same material.

To appreciate lime mortar you need to understand what is called the
'lime cycle' which begins with limestone from a quarry [calcium
carbonate, CaCO3].  This material is burnt in a lime kiln which
drives out carbon dioxide, CO2, leaving behind quick lime [calcium
oxide, CaO].  Caution: quicklime is a very dangerous and volatile
substance that can cause nasty burns/eye damage.  Quicklime is then
added to water in a lime pit which creates a violent reaction
involving heat, bubbling and spitting [eye and skin protection should
be worn].  The quicklime draws in hydrogen from the water creating
lime putty [calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2.  Lime putty is combined with
sand to make basic, traditional lime mortar.  After the lime mortar
is trowled into the building it begins to dry, driving out water,
H2O.  As it dries the exposed surface of the mortar attracts carbon
dioxide, CO2, from the air and becomes, once again, calcium
carbonate, CaCO3.  Below the surface, where there has been no contact
with the air, the mortar remains soft and putty like.

That is the basic recipe for lime mortar but you also asked why we
choose this material.  Well, we are currently working on the
conservation of windows at St. Paul's Cathedral, Melbourne and have
just completed the west end.  The west windows [Clayton and Bell]
were installed about 1890 and the glaziers were just as enthusiastic
about the new wonder product, portland cement, as was Thomas Hardy.
They knocked up a rich mix.  Over the last 110 years, due to failing
footings, the north wall of the cathedral has walked 30cm westward.
As it did it stretched the west wall, including the windows, by 30cm.
The result of structural movement combined with rich cement mortar
was vertical splitting of five large windows to a drastic degree.  If
the windows had been bedded in lime putty mortar they would have
pulled free from the glazing channel and remained intact.

While I am at it I will try to clarify a few other terms that seem to
have been confused:

Hydraulic lime is lime that will set quickly in wet conditions,
possibly even under water. It has had powdered, fired clay added to
the quicklime during slaking and is the same thing as potsalanic
lime. It sets up hard and brittle all the way through and is not
recommended for bedding windows.

Hydrated lime is quicklime that has been lightly sprayed with hot
water to reduce its volatility.  This is the white powder that you
buy at gardening shops to apply to your garden.  Although the purists
disagree, hydrated lime will make a quite adequate lime putty for
mortar, but quicklime is best.

Waterproof lime putty is created by adding either shaved tallow,
linseed oil or skim milk at the most volatile point of slaking when
the generated heat will instantly and permanently disperse it
throughout the lime putty.  This would be suitable for the west coast
of Scotland and similar climates but is hardly required anywhere
else.  Keep in mind 'waterproof' is not necessarily a good thing in
old buildings that were designed to breathe.

Lime putty should be left to sit, covered with water, for a minimum
of 3 months before use [the Romans recommended 2 years].  The longer
it sits the more 'buttery' the putty becomes and well matured lime
putty is a true joy to use as the resulting mortar will behave almost
like cream cheese and remain attached even to an upturned trowel.

It's a lot more fun than any other bedding material.

Cheers,

Geoffrey

P.S.  Up to a certain degree lime putty mortar is also self
repairing.  If, for whatever reason, the cured mortar is cracked then
the next time it gets rained on the exposed mortar will carbonate
creating expansion and filling the cracks.