is there a picture available? It might make the text a lot clearer.
Thibaud Chabot

At 22:18 03-02-2005, Frank Evans wrote:
Greetings fellow dialists,

The other day I bought a copy of Weir's Azimuth Diagram. This was the first
time I had seen it although I had read about it in earlier days. It is a
remarkable document, devised by Captain Weir in 1890. Its purpose is to
enable a navigator to find the azimuth of a heavenly body by graphical
means.

In appearance it is a circle of 50 cm diameter on paper, containing a
central vertical ordinate, a series of concentric ellipses and mirrored
hyperbolic curves spreading from the central ordinate. It makes a very
pretty picture and is in colour. The diagram is entered with the elements
latitude (expressed as an ellipse), declination of the heavenly body
(expressed linearly on the vertical ordinate) and the hour angle (crudely,
sun time) of the heavenly body (expressed as a hyperbolic curve). Marking
the declination on the vertical ordinate (which is pricked out in degrees
from 65N to 65S) and joining this point to a second point where the
appropriate latitude ellipse crosses the hour angle hyperbola gives a line
which plots the azimuth of the heavenly body in question.

It occurred to me that this graphical method of solving azimuth problems
could be modified to make a sundial. If the Weir diagram were to be levelled
and oriented N and S and a vertical shadow pin were placed on the central
ordinate at the sun's declination then the shadow would represent its
azimuth. Follow this until it reaches the appropriate latitude curve and
read off the time from the conjoined hour angle curve.

Two points (1) This diagram is a fascinating survival, last printed in 1950
and still obtainable from UK Admiralty chart agents. It is catalogued as
chart no. 5000 and is printed on good quality chart paper. It costs 5 pounds
50. There is a second diagram available for the hardy ones, extending from
65 deg to 80 deg.

(2) Have I got all this right? Is anyone else familiar with Weir's diagram
and has it been mentioned before in this sundial group?

Frank 55N 1W

Thibaud Taudin-Chabot
52° 18' 19.85" North, 04° 51' 09.45" East, alt. -4.50 m
home email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]