I hope it's ok  to slip this into the conversation about vertical dials.
Last year I finished  building a medium sized  CNC router table, it has a
carving area of 3'X 4'. I made it especially for making vertical sundials.
Even though it looks like something that Fred Flintstone built ,It will cut
aluminum and brass but only reluctantly; I'm using a 3 ? horse wood router
that really doesn't have the bearings to push through metal for very long. I
have experimented  with different materials and like a material (PVC) that
is made for exterior trim ( it looks like painted wood) and comes in boards
and sheets up to 4'X 10',  I have made several dials from Pine and  then
painted them. I use the Sonne program to generate the Analemma and hour
lines in dxf form and old versions of  AutoCAD and Corel to add framing and
text.
 I am offering this information for two reasons . The latest thread about
vertical dial and dials on cupolas  reminded me that there might be members
that were interested in using me as a resource in construction low cost
vertical dials.
Secondly, I was invited  to do a write-up or presentation to the compendium
on building  low cost cnc machines for dialing. I am willing to share what I
know. But the task of putting together a formal authoritative presentation
about something I really don't know much about is out of the question. What
I have considered is  a collaboration with some one or a group from the
dialing list that is interested in building their own and writing about it.
There's is a picture of the machine  and some of my dials on my web site.
Spend a little time on the site and you'll understand why I don't want to
write the presentation. I don't write! www.scottdesignsundials.com  there is
a link to a Sign site with lots of signs carved in oak which is turning out
to be my bread and butter.