John Carmichael wrote:
<<I was in the hospital having spinal surgery (for two herniated disks), so unfortunately I missed going to the NASS conference this year.  I know we'll get to read all about it in the next Compendium, but I'm anxious to hear how it went. How were the workshops?And who won the Sawyer Dialing Prize this year?>>

John,
I hope your surgery went well and that you are well on the road to recovery.

As to the NASS conference, I thought it went really well again this year, and that the workshops were a worthwhile addition to the scheme of things.
Having the Adler Planetarium as a backdrop, and for our conference dinner was a bonus, and Chicago is certainly a "wow" city.

I am delighted to be able to tell you that the Sawyer Dialing Prize this year went to our very own Tony Moss, a regular contributor to the list.
The citation reads: "In recognition of his achievement in combining superb craftsmanship, a lifetime's teaching experience and a constant desire to share knowledge, methods and techniques in the practical art of dialing".
His award took the form of one of Jim Tallman's glass dials.

I can't tell you how pleased I am that he received such recognition.

Mike Shaw

53.37 North
03.02 West