Dear Nicola and all,

Thanks to Jack Aubert I can respond to your posting. I often regret being
unable to read Italian or Spanish, as so many important gnomonic
publications appear in these languages!

The primary aim of my article on the sundial of emperor Augustus was to
bring the important paper by Michael Schütz (published in 1990) to the
attention of the gnomonic community. In addition, I reviewed the further
goings of Buchners story.

Around 1980, prof. Edmund Buchner excavated part of a meridian line
constructed a century after Augustus erected an Egyptian obelisk in the Mars
Field in Rome. He hypothesized that Augustus constructed a huge sundial and
argued that a centimeter-precise topographical relationship existed between
the sundial and the nearby Ara Pacis (peace altar). Schütz showed that
Buchners assumptions on the height of the obelisk were mostly unjustified
and that his calculations of the position of the obelisk and the sundial
layout were incorrect.

Schütz' paper (in German) apparently was unknown in gnomonics, so that
Buchners speculative hypothesis was considered a proven fact. The only
author who knew Schütz article (and agreed) was Karlheinz Schaldach. The
"bird's eye perspective" argument comes from his book on Roman sundials.

Schütz is is also missing from the bibliography in your 1997 article (which
I downloaded but unfortunately cannot read). When I contacted you last
November to get your opinion on Schütz' criticism, I was very sorry that the
language problem prevented a fruitful communication. Still, I am looking
forward to your evaluation of Schütz' - in my view convincing - arguments.

Best regards,
Frans Maes