John,

In steps 3 and 10 "Dry stone in sun for 3 or 4 days or in an oven."

What temperature do you use?  It should be low so as not to subject the stone to thermal shock.

Gary

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John Carmichael
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 2:43 PM
To: Artisan
Cc: Sundial List
Subject: Re: The J. Carmichael stone technique...

HI JIM:

HERE IT IS IN A NUTSHELL.  I'M NOT ALLOWED A LOT OF COMPUTER TIME TIL I GET BETTER SO EXCUSE THE BREVITY OF THIS LETTER:

Carmichael's Stone Cutting & CarvingTechnique
(Works with sandstone, flagstone, limestone, marble and slate. Not so well with granite)

1. Cut raw stone blank to proper shape with a tile saw that has a 4 or 5" diamond blade.
2. Smooth the dial face by heavy sanding & polishing  (Diamond 80 or 100 grit Velcro-backed "sandpaper" on a hand-held grinder works great)
3. Dry stone in sun for 3 or 4 days or in an oven.
4. Seal the stone with several coats of diluted polyurethane (one part paint thinner and three parts poly).  Otherwise the stone
will absorb the glue in this next step.
5. Glue paper with sundial face design to the sealed stone as if it were wallpaper.  Use water soluble Elmer's Glue and a little roller.  Let Dry.
6. Seal paper with any oil based sealer. Varnish or polyurethane both work.
7. Engrave the face with water lubricated diamond burrs.
8. Soak stone in water to loosen glue and remove paper and any leftover glue with water and a nylon brush.
9. Recut engravings to deepen and perfect them.
10. Dry stone in sun or oven
11. Seal with diluted polyurethane and polish (over and over and over again, using smaller and smaller grit until perfect)
12. Paint engravings
13. Remove excess spillover paint with rag & mineral spirits before it dries.
14. Inlay or attach metalwork.
15. Done!