to imitate it,  but would like to make a couple of observations.

Drawing out the design directly on the stone means that you have to do the whole thing by hand. You can calculate the hour angles using formulae but it is somewhat labor intensive and depending on the type of dial this could become difficult. Doing the lines may not be that hard, but engraving the numbers would be particularly difficult for me to do without a direct trace. Granted, it is possible to do it all by hand but generating everything on paper using a computer and printer you can then use the result to trace directly onto the stone makes everything, particularly the physical act of engraving, quite a bit easier. Annika Larson's step 7, "Cut. (or drill, or engrave or whatever)" would be my downfall.

It is true that the stone originally has texture but note that John's technique involves grinding it reasonably flat before adhering the paper. Also, note that John developed the technique using sandstone. Slate is soft enough to carve by hand with a straightedge and I was more or less successful using John's technique on slate. I am now going to give it a try on limestone, which should also be soft enough to carve.

I guess my point is that a relatively inexperienced stone cutter can use John's technique and produce something that is at least acceptable without years of practice.

Jack