On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Pam Eastlick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>.... Here at 13 degrees north, a sundial must be quite large for
>the gnomen to have an appreciable rise.
>>
>....Is there some way to overcome this problem?  Someone once suggested that
>perhaps the sundial base could be tilted.

Pam:

Daniel's suggestion will work fine.  At your latitude, the top bar of the
inverted U would be inclined 13 degrees from horizontal, so it points to the
celestial pole.  The main idea is to lift this bar high enough above the ground
for a reasonable shadow motion as the Sun moves across the sky.  What you are
using is, in fact, a small portion of a much longer, imaginary gnomon that
intersects the ground many meters south of your sundial's location.

Tilting a sundial calculated for a higher latitude than yours is also a quite
workable solution.  But I like the first idea better!

Roger Sinnott
Sky & Telescope