Fellow Shadow Watchers,
                       The Sign and Graphics industries held a huge trade
show in the UK last week where I spent a day drooling of the very latest
in CNC carving, engraving and every aspect of display advertising.

One new (to me) technique based in France which might just have some
dialling possibilities in future is illustrated at:

http://www.vitrics.com/images/SH2full.jpg

This is laser 'engraving' actually INSIDE plate glass with nothing to
show on either surface.  The artwork consist of tiny apertures within the
glass caused (I'm guessing) by the interaction of two or more laser beams.

Encased in solid glass: what could be more weatherproof?

VITRICS homepage is at

http://www.vitrics.com

but you will have to search to find examples which do justice to this
amazing technique.

Tony Moss