this laser engraving technique is not new at all, I remember seeing some pieces more then five years ago, and they were nothing new then. however, due to legal disputes about the patent the method is not -or has not been- widely used.

I am not sure it would be very useful for sundials. You'd have to produce a very tight layer of dots to show the shadow well. While the newer machines can produce much finer dots (I think the piece in your picture was made by an older model), they are still far from it.

why not sandblast the backside of a plate of glass?

hannes

--
Koordinaten (WGS84) 47°15' N
11°26' E