Thanks for the info.

A number of those dials are poorly made, however some
of them have quite good workmanship. That good
workmanship is spoiled by consistntly screwing up the
latitude scale, as well as other things. If they go to
the trouble to do good metal work, why not use working
designs.

For that reason I added a third link on my web site.

[1] Before buying - check the buyer's guide another
list member wrote

[2] After you have bought - my reverse engineering
notes

[3] What not to buy - this is the third link, I added
it just yesterday. It addresses exactly the points you
have made.

Many many such dials are sold on Ebay, I do not know
how to educate those buyers however.

Simon
www.illustratingshadows.com