Could refraction by the earth's atmosphere have some relevance here?

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Greg Gómez
Sent: 31 August 2006 00:15
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: Question about lunar phase and the sun's path in the sky

Hello, everybody:

I have a question concerning the moon's phase, and solar position.
Today (30
Aug 2006) I observed that the moon rose and the sun transited almost
simultaneously at my longitude (106W):

Sun transit    13:07
Moonrise       13:02 [1]

I reckoned that this must also mean that the moon's phase is pretty
close to
3/4 full (or 1/2 waxing).

However, the Naval Observatory says:
Phase of the Moon on 30 August: waxing crescent with 38% of the Moon's
visible
disk illuminated.

As it turns out, the last quarter Moon occurs more than a day later on
31
August 2006 at 1657 MDT.

So, my reasoning failed.

However, my somewhat meager knowledge of dialing led me to a new
hypothesis:
The sun's path (and the moon's) aren't describing a circular, but
rather a
hyperbolic path in the sky. This means that it's possible to have the
sun and
moon be on the meridian and the horizon, respectively, and yet be more
than 90
degrees apart.

Am I correct in this?

Thanks!
Greg

1. All astronomical data from US Naval Observatory,
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html