Hello Greg and Chris,

While Chris explains your question well, I have several observations that are related to your question. I am sure you have made the observations also. But they are interesting. Who says the motions in the sky are static?

1. At northern latitudes, in the summer, a full moon rises in the southeast as the sun sets in the northwest.

2. In the winter a full moon rises in the northeast as the sun sets in the southwest. The full moon sets in the northwest around sunrise. This gives us a lot of moon light in the winter when we can use it the most. From our point of view, a NE to south to NW path is a long path and would take more than 16 hours.

3. From day to day, moon rise azimuths change a huge amount, while sun rise azimuths do not change much. As we approach the equinox the sun rise azimuth is changing the most from day to day. .

Thanks for your observation,

Warren

However, my somewhat meager knowledge of dialing led me to a new hypothesis: The sun's path (and the moon's) aren't describing a circular, but rather a hyperbolic path in the sky. This means that it's possible to have the sun and moon be on the meridian and the horizon, respectively, and yet be more than 90 degrees apart.