John,

The highest-resolution specified HDTV format is 1920 wide by 1080 high 16:9
widescreen format). Note that the HDTV specification defines many, many
resolutions and formats. I think that this should be adequate for present
and future work, and it would permit you to reformat later for full
resolution.

However, I think that DVD, broadcast and cable HDTV are currently less than
this, typically 720p (progressive), 1280 x 720 resolution. Current DVD
formats do not support full HDTV, and the HD-DVD vs. BluRay DVD battle is
still being waged.

For a computer display at the nominal 100 dpi PC display resolution this
would correspond to a 20 by 11 inch display, which few people now have. I
do not know what resolutions Windows Media Player and Flash support. If you
are going to project this for group viewing, then check the specs for
digital projectors.

If you are going to crop your photos then the digital camera resolution
should be correspondingly higher.

I would suggest that you capture images to support the highest resolution
(thus supporting future upgrades) and that you then reformat for the
equipment that you are currently using.

Good luck!

Gordon

http://computing-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/DTV