This has been an excellent discussion. As several of my designs purport to be
readable to a couple of minutes, I, too, had been exploring ways to correct for
the EoT.

The Poncet platform rotates the entire sundial about a polar axis, but has to
be made for a specific latitude, so cannot be mass-produced. A
latitude-independent version is described in US patent 09874026 filed just last
year (see http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7035005-description.html) Patrick
is correct in saying that if the gnomon has two edges you must rotate it, not
just the dial, as the orientation of the edges would remain correct, but their
position in space would not.

An alternative that I've investigated is to use two wedges, similar to those
Bill Gottesman uses for the latitude adjustment of his sundials (also patented:
see
 http://www.precisionsundials.com/equant%20dial.htm).
The wedge angle can be vey small - just 2 degrees. But having to set three
alignments seems an unacceptable burden.

My latest approach is to take the "Housewife's Trick" from AP Herbert: just
turn the whole horizontal sundial about a vertical axis, so the dial plate
remains horizontal but the gnomon and the 12 o'clock line are no longer
North-South. This is very much easier to do than any of the other suggestions.
But, is it accurate?

Of course not - an article in The Compendium a few years ago analysed it and
rejected it. But The Compendium is written with a USA perspective. AP Herbert
was English. The housewives to whom he referred were at 51 or more degrees
North. Does this make a difference?

Yes, it does. By rotating the sundial appropriately, the maximum time error can
be made to be less than one minute except in July when it may be as much as 90
seconds. Well, for my money that's a pretty good result. I'm sorry it doesn't
work as well in the USA because you're too near the equator. For us in northern
Europe I suggest it is quite good enough. The further north you are, the less
the error. Should I patent it, or at least the calculation of the "appropriate"
angle? I think I'm too late. It appears that it's common knowledge amongst
housewives in this country.

Chris Lusby Taylor
51.4N 1.3W