Greetings fellow dialists,
Nowadays, oil exploration is conducted within government concessions.
These are areas defined by a succession of points, often at sea, to form
a closed box. All you do is join the points on a chart and you have your
concession plotted. But how do you join the points? Do you use
loxodromes (rhumb lines) or arcs of great circles? This becomes
important in high latitudes, in wide areas or where an oilfield crosses
the territorial limits of two countries. I am told that a few tens of
metres can sometimes be highly significant in the last case.

How best to show the deviation between a great circle and a rhumb line
at various points along their courses? I know of computer programmes
that give initial course and distance for great circles. But what is
needed is a graphical programme to plot the two methods on a computer
screen with the ability to give the departure of one line from the other
at any point. Can anyone make a suggestion, please?
Frank 55N 1W
P.S. I'm not an oil man, merely a simple dialist.