Hello Frans'

You raise a good point on the determination of longitude. The answer is
eclipses. The details were not included in the version presented at the
conference. I have now added a few slides that were not uses as the text did
not show well on the maps and the details were not necessary to communicate
the story. The file has grown to 7.5 MB
http://www3.telus.net/public/rtbailey/GodsLongitude/

These explorers had the right stuff. James Harriot, described as the best
mathematician Oxford has produced, was employed by Raleigh as a navigator,
astronomer and cartographer. His observations of a solar eclipse on 19 April
1585 on the voyage to Virginia have been used to determine the latitude and
longitude of the ship. Many think that he was on the 1584 voyage as well and
had hoped to observe a lunar eclipse in Virginia in November but the
historical records show a earlier return in September to avoid the winter
north atlantic storms. See
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Biographies/Harriot.html The map
John White pained was based on Harriot's accurate surveys in 1585/86. Is
there documentary evidence that they accurately measured the longitude? No,
but navigation was a state secret at that time, a strategic asset not to be
shared with your enemies. Drake's voyage is an example of this secrecy. If
they had a longitude fix, the data remains a secret. They certainly had the
capability.

Things have not changed much. Until recently the US military dithered the
GPS system to protect strategic state secrets.

Simon Cassidy responded with a few corrections. Omar Khayyam's 33 year cycle
does not give you God's Longitude. The longitude depends on the start year
and Khayyam would not have used a calendar based on the life of Christ. John
Dee did. This is clear in his writing.

Regards,
Roger Bailey