To: "Roger Bailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: God's Longitude and the Lost Colony of Virginia

Dear Roger,

God's Longitude is indeed a fascinating topic.

An intriguing side-issue is that an almost
arbitrary 33-year run of the Gregorian Calendar
shares an essential property of the Omar Khayyam
Calendar: the date of the Vernal Equinox (or
any other declination) is confined to a period
of 24 hours.

This means you can set up a sundial (at ANY
longitude) that will show the date unambiguously
for 33 years.  The Paternoster Square noon mark on
the new London Stock Exchange implements this idea
down to and including showing 29 February.

Of course it is not too satisfactory near the
solstices because the declination changes too
slowly but I really have put at least a scratch
for every one of the 366 days of the year!

It is good luck that whoever settled on 29 February
as leap-year day chose a date close to an equinox
when the declination is changing rapidly.

YOUR PRESENTATION

I greatly enjoyed looking at your slides.  There
were some lovely illustrations and it all seems
great fun.

I have one trifling comment...

This refers to the slide which shows a blob diagram
for 77 degrees west over the period 1579 to 2095 using
the Omar Khayyam Calendar.  This isn't quite right!

You state that you use 1582 as the base year and take
the instant of the vernal equinox that year as:

          1582-03-21  23:58:10  UT

Subject to the 10- or 11-day shift this is correct
and the time is just before midnight UT of course.

Given that, and using the Omar Khayyam Calendar,
your blob diagram is confined to just UNDER 24 hours.
The extreme times of day for the Vernal Equinox in
the period you chose are respectively in 1587 (the
latest time of day) and in 2078 (the earliest).

In fact, using the Omar Khayyam Calendar, these
extremes are just OVER 24 hours apart...

The actual UT times of the vernal equinox in those
extreme years are:

    1587: 05:17:12    2078: 05:13:07

The dates are not shown because we are free to choose
our own calendar but, using the Omar Khayyam Calendar,
the first is 24h 4m 5s later than the second.

When you shift westwards by the appropriate amount,
the latest time will just be in the "next" day and
the earliest time will just be in the "previous" day.

The equivalent diagram that I showed in Cambridge DID
span more than 24 hours but I didn't draw attention to
this!  Also I cheated (a bit!) by having a blob-diameter
which was sufficiently large that it disguised the fact
that the diagram spanned more than 24 hours!

If we stick with your extremes, the compromise longitude
is 5h 15m 9.5s west of Greenwich.  [I take the average
of 5:17:12 and 5:13:07.]

This shifts us to 78 deg 47' 22.5" west which is a little
further than we would like to fit the story!

John Dee would not have access to www.gcstudio.com
(where I got my data above) and would not be able
to produce as precise a blob diagram as we can today.
Moreover he probably didn't look as far ahead as 2078!

LONG-TERM DRIFT

The truth is that God's longitude is drifting very
slowly eastwards but, even today, we can predict the
rate of progress with only limited precision...

The real problem is that the length of the day is
changing unpredictably (which is why leap seconds
are not published many years ahead) and if you don't
know the length of the day you cannot say by what
fraction of a day the year exceeds 365 days!

What we can be sure of is that for the period 500 years
either side of where we are now, this fraction averages
a lot closer to 8/33 days (the Omar Khayyam value) than
it does to 97/400 days (Pope Gregory's value).

I would like to thank Frank King for the inspiration,
Simon Cassidy for doing the historical research and
uncovering the secret agenda...

This is kind of you but Simon Cassidy was MY inspiration
and I count myself only as a communicator!!

Very best wishes

Frank