Dear Art and sundialers all,

What a wonderful idea!

I'd like to suggest a type of sundial for those folks that:
a: don't own the building they are in.
b: don't have access to the outside of the building
c: have no sunlight coming through or hitting a window or opening.

It is the Scenic Shadow Interpretation Screen. (SSIS)

Viewed from a single point through a transparent screen, window, sheet of
plastic, etc.  it uses the shadows of nodes of objects in the scene to tell
time.
The lines on the screen corresponding to shadow positions of the chosen
nodes for given timelines.  Reference marks of fixed objects in the scene
allow the single eye to position correctly.

I understand that origonally it was hand crafted on window screens with
thread and yarn embroidery.  Now it can be drawn or painted on a window, or
even printed on a sheet of acetate and taped up.

A few photographs made from the chosen point of view can be used to
calculate the imaginary feet of the virtual gnomen that the nodes are part of.
It then becomes fairly easy to determine the node shadow positions with
respect to declination, position on the earth, local solar time, and the like.

Another worthwhile idea would be to use the shadows of found objects in the
scene and use markings on the ground, other objects, windows, sides of
buildings as from  virtual gnomen.  Colored rocks in a gravel bed and the like
are easy to do.

As this advances, please keep us informed on the progress.

Best Wishes!

Edley.