Thanks Sara,

I thought there might be more than simple "carry aboard" universal dials
that may have been used aboard ship in years past. Thanks for your
historical perspective.

Perhaps I should explain why I was thinking about this. This past Monday
was "Columbus Day" here in the US, and on TV there were several good
documentary shows re: Columbus and the famous voyage(s) to the new
world. They were away from "civilization" for a long time, and they were
at sea, out of sight of land, for a very long time compared to most of
the sailor's past experience. Apart from the daily sighting at noon, I
began to wonder if time was kept or referenced in any other way other
than by using an hourglass until the next sighting.

I also remembered seeing a P&G heliochronometer once in a James Bond
movie...Goldeneye, I think it was. This would ordinarily not be odd, but
the sundial was aboard a yacht. Maybe it was included in the set to look
nautical in some way...but then again, I wondered how a P&G came to be
in that movie - it was a very interesting choice for a set designer,
don't you think?

Really, I was just wondering about the use of sundials on ships, and
whether any unique dials were ever made specifically for that purpose.

Best,

Jim Tallman
www.artisanindustrials.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]