  From: Mike Cowham
  To: Roger Bailey ; SUNDIAL
  Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 8:26 AM
  Subject: Re: Hours to/from Sunset

  Dear Roger,
  I only had one response to my request for information about English dials,
pre-1800 showing hours from sunrise or sunset.  Patrick Powers found the
vertical dial of c1660 at St Katherine Cree Church, London.  This is
illustrated in the BSS Sundial Register.  It clearly shows two sets of diagonal
lines, being both hours from sunrise and sunset.  This is just what I was
looking for.  I feel that there may still be others, but none have come to
light yet.  In Italy they are quite common, and in recent years these have been
constructed by various sundiallers.  I even toyed with the idea of doing one
for our garage door so that I can see how many hours are left to sunset (or
hours to work in the garden!).
  Thanks again for your interest.

  Mike.
    I have seen no responses to your note on sundials in Britain showing hours
from sunrise or sunset. Does this mean there are none?