-----Original Message-----
From: John Carmichael [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 10:07 AM
To: 'Tony Moss'
Subject: Shadow Tapering

Dear Tony (I'm ccing The List on your letter because it is a great new
observation that The List has never discussed before. Your observation
concerning the decreased shadow width at the Noon Gap of thick polar axis
gnomons on giant sundials will surely be interesting to everybody.  I'd be
most interested in hearing other dialists' opinions about this interesting
shadow phenomenon and possible solutions to combat it.  Everybody should
read Tony's letter below.)

How interesting!  Yes, now that you mention this effect seems inevitable
knowning what we know about umbras, penumbras and fuzz zones.! I had not
thought of this phenomenon and have never personally observed it because I
have never seen a dial like this at Noon. To  minimize the shadow tapering
on giant polar axis thick gnomon sundials, your idea of using the equinox's
taper as a design guide seems reasonable.  The amount of shadow tapering
would be greater with gnomons that have a steep slope (gnomons at high
latitudes).  Since this one is at 28 degrees, the shadow taper would be
less.  According to your theory, one might be able to decrease the effect of
shadow tapering by constructing the thick polar axis gnomon so that it get
slightly wider towards the top.  Of course this would violate all the
gnomonic laws we hold so dear! The two shadow casting edges of the angled
gnomon would not be precisely parallel and would not face precisely north! I
don't think I'm ready to make this unorthodox design change without doing
some rigorous experiments first.

But I could maybe try an alternative less radical solution to the shadow
tapering problem. But this would also require experiments, because it also
violates traditional sundial design rules.  One might make the gnomon
slightly wider than is called for by traditional gnomonics, so that the
shadow completely fills the Noon Gap on the Equinox.  How does this solution
sound to you and everybody else?  It's a radical idea that makes me cringe a
little but it just might work.  I wonder how one could mathematically
calculate how much wider to make the gnomon to counter the thinning of the
observed shadow.  It'd probably be easier and more correct to conduct an
experiment using a full-size model.

John

p.s. the dial we are discussing is horizontal, but the tapered shadow effect
would also be visible on any large sundial with a thick polar axis gnomon.