From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alexei Pace
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 11:21 AM
To: Sundial list Sundial list
Subject: Re: new feature in Orologi Solari

Surely a very useful feature, however the photo has to be shot perpendicularly
to the surface and with no distortions..

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dear all,
I have included a new feature in my program "Orologi Solari" that I would like
to introduce.

The idea came from the fact that when designing a new dial I make the usual
wall declination measurements then I take a picture of the wall and by means of
a graphic program I put the dial design on the picture in order to find the
best position, dimension etc.
So why not to design the dial directly on the wall picture?

Orologi Solari contains now a new parameters page where a graphic image file
can be defined together with the true distance between two any points in order
to get the true picture dimension.
Then the picture is shown on the screen and the dial is drawn over it and it
can be moved, made larger or smaller etc.
All the other features of the program, including simulation, work as usual so
that it is possible to see the simulated shadow on the wall during the day and
during the year.
All that can be done immediately with a laptop and shown to the customer in
order to let him see a draft version of the final result (apart from dial
decorations of course).

I am attaching a picture showing an example of what you can see on the screen.

Maybe this feature could be useful for ancient dials restoration too: the
picture of the old dial can be put on screen and the new dial can be designed
with the calculated parameters in order to see if the new lines overlap on the
old ones, changing any parameter if needed. And if picture distortion is
considered to be a potential problem, a handmade design could be used instead.

As I don't actually know if all this stuff can be really useful or it's just a
useless idea (it's difficult to assess our own product), I would appreciate any
comment or suggestion.

My best regards to all of you.
Gian

http://digilander.libero.it/orologi.solari