I've been interested in sundials for a long time but I've never built
one. As an engineer by trade, I have some understanding of the math, but
never actually having used the equations for a real project my
understanding hasn't been tested. :-)

We recently bought a house that has a perfect location for a vertical
declining sundial. The wall faces almost directly south - it is 17 deg.
off with a bearing of N73W - and faces a school.

So I'd like to set up the sundial with the summer vacation marked. I
can't find any information on how to calculate the position for a
specific date on a vertical declining sundial.

I'm at 44°03′07″N 123°05′12″W
<http://stable.toolserver.org/geohack/geohack.php?pagename=Eugene%2C_Oregon&params=44_03_07_N_123_05_12_W_type:city>.

I would appreciate any help getting started.

Thanks,

--Yan

--
  o__

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too
young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15
years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they
took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
--Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation