Hi,

If I can add my tuppence worth. Several sundial/astronomy programs have pre-defined time zone lists which assume that all the world sets its standard time by a 15 degree longitude difference. But: about 1/6th of the world doesn't (an in-my-head calculation based on India's billion population, plus odd jurisdictions like that in which I live: South Australia, as well as the Northern Territory). While most sundial programs allow one to input non-standard time zones (e.g. Sonne, Shadows, Dialist, ZW2k...) some really useful ones don't (e.g. Sundial Align, Orologi Solari). Astronomy programs are less likely to give options for setting non-standard locations (e.g Electric Astrolabe, and Planets 202). So: my plea to programmers is to either allow the user to enter the standard time zone themselves, or else do as Dialist does and allow the user to enter a deviation from a standard time zone.

cheers,

Peter

Simon [illustratingshadows wrote:

Standards are essential in many lines of work. However, standards also tend to
limit, and in some cases lower the bar by going to a common denominator.
Standards can also become esoteric at the other extreme. And many times
standards are built by the academia without regard to the man-on-the-street.

The BSS spent time on standardizing the presentation of sundial formula. That standard is good, but above many lay persons. And thus people don't use it, and thus why people go their own way. Also, it is after the fact as far as the classic books go, and like it or not, classic books are what most people use.
I don't see why programs should use a common standard on input terms to the nth
degree as long as each program defines the terms, as for example on their input
data panels.

I have used many, most, if not all the programs everyone else used for sundial plate design, and I dont agree that the terms used are outside of reasonable tolerances. I think they all explain the data input, and what is meant, and when longitude is + or - for west, etc. SD and style distance are used in all programs, SH and style height similarly. Some programs accept dial longitude and then don't use it unless also told to make that adjustment, some use - for east some use +, some work on both hemispheres and some dont.
In fact, look at the EOT. Astronomers use an opposite sign to sun dial people.
It aint going to change. Using a program should be more than a rote action,
there should be some good understanding underlying gnomonics before designing a
dial.

My preference for programs is (1) my own DeltaCAD macros which I re worked in
the last month for much more user friendly formats, and (2) ShadowsPRO.
However, all programs out there serve a purpose, and all do a good job. Mine
were aimed at getting diallists beyond dialling, and into modifying the raw
code, their focus is education. My code is conversational even in object
oriented language systems, since conversational methods are easier to follow
when looking at source code. Thus the programs I have written for DeltaCAD,
LISP, FORTRAN, C, Basic, Visual BASIC, JAVA, Python, Euler, Scilab, Octave,
Pascal, variations in Excel, and for the PalmPilot (docs to go as well as
standalone prc), TurboCAD, and horror of horrors, even COBOL, are all aimed at
education. They all work, however they are tools.

Enough of my ranting. Look at all the programs and use the ones you like. There
is enough choice out there so that each of us with our quirks and preferences
can find what we like.

Simon

PS: anyone with my DeltaCAD macros older than July 2008 may wish to download
the latest versions, they are integrated into a few macros covering generic
dial types, comments expanded on data fields, and the notes on printing dial
plates expanded for big and small dials plates. The ZIP file is bigger because
it has the new ones, a larger set of notes on using them, and still has the old
macros as well for those who like the smaller macros.