  From: Lloyd Tackitt
  To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
  Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 9:53 PM
  Subject: Ideas Sought

  Hello!

  I am in the early planning stages of building an Octagon house.  The house
will have a central fireplace. I have no building restrcitions and can orient
the house any way I choose - I do have a great river view directly to the South
that will be the main focus of the house.

  In designing this house it occurred to me that it would be interesting to
align the house with the 8 points of the compass, and then it occurred to me
that there are many things that I could do with this, if I but had the
knowledge.  Such as, design the house as a live in sunddial, or astronomical
calendar with shadow line(s) falling on solstices marked on the central
fireplace, equinoxes, eclipses, what have you.

  However, I am ignorant on the subjects above and am seeking ideas to
incorporate into the design.  I am about a year from starting construction, so
now is the time to plan this out.

  Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

  Thank you

  Lloyd