Lloyd,
look at http://www.squ1.com/products/ecotect/features/shadingdesign for a good shading design.
Thibaud

At 12:44 04-09-2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Dear Lloyd

Sunlight and shadow can be harnessed to provide warmth in winter and shade in summer. Solar geometry, i.e. gnomonics, is the name of the game. This is of course the basis of passive solar architectural design.

In the northern hemisphere a south-facing window can be protected by a canopy which screens high-angle sun in the summer and permits solar penetration in the winter. The design of such a canopy is an exercise in applied gnomonics. North-facing rooms would have smaller well-insulated windows. Rooms on the north façade would be those occupied only intermittently ­ store-rooms, wash-rooms, etc. ­ or those which themselves generate heat, e.g. kitchens. Bedrooms might face east to attract early morning sunlight.
.

I would urge you to consider this approach to architectural design. It would slash your fuel bills and point the way for others to follow in reducing global warming. But it may not produce an octagonal building!

John Lynes