Dear Roger et al,

Many thanks for your delightful message and
for the associated diagram.

> Your improvements to the Braunschweig dial
> are very interesting.

The procedure I proposed for an "Improved
Braunschweig Temporary Hours Dial" must surely
be reinventing a well-known wheel?

> To respond to your "question", I have seen no
> examples of such corrections...

I am just waiting for someone to tell me that
there is an example from 1500 or thereabouts!

> ... being in the "new world" my experience
> and historical depth is quite limited.

My historical depth is close to zero but you
and Gianni and Frans and Karlheinz are doing
a good job remedying this!

> I enjoy your challenges...

You are getting very close to solving the
latest ones!

> Demonstrating the curvature of the unequal
> hours is fairly straightforward...  See
> attached sketch.

Yes, this nicely shows the S-shapes if you
squint along the temporary hour lines!

> I can visualize the celestial sphere...

That's exactly the right place to start.

> I have yet to resolve the translation in
> spherical geometry between the two time
> coordinates.

The good news is that you need consider only
temporary hours as they appear when drawn
as lines (which are not great circles) on the
celestial sphere.  Ignore these new-fangled
equal-hours impostors!

The proof is pure geometry without need for
a single trigonometrical expression.

> So far I cannot prove the "corollary"...

That too needs not a single trigonometrical
expression and is almost a one-line footnote
to the main proof.

> As I said, this is an interesting pair of
> sundials.

They have certainly got me hooked!

I especially enjoy the fact that you can use
the procedure on a dial which (within limits)
has arbitrary orientation.

Best wishes

Frank