In his charming (but not always accurate) book "Light and Colour in the Open
Air" (Bell, 1959), which was earlier published as a Dover paperback, M.
Minnaert mentioned several multiple sightings of the green flash.  He referred
to Byrd's expedition to the South Pole when the green flash could be observed
for 35 minutes.
The ideal location for measuring the earth's radius would presumably be the
North or South Pole, close to an equinox.
John Lynes