  From: Mike Shaw
  To: f.w.m...@rug.nl ; JOHN DAVIS
  Cc: sundial@uni-koeln.de
  Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:38 AM
  Subject: Re: Experimental Method for Earth Radius

  <<Standing beside the building, we see the sun
  disappearing behind the horizon at a CONSTANT rate. On the other hand,
  if we would want to keep the last sliver of sun in sight, we would have
  to climb the building's stairs at an ever INCREASING rate.

  So, where is my intuition led astray?>>

  Now, I'm no mathematician, as anyone will tell you but ....

  Isn't it because the earth is a sphere, but the wall isn't?
  If you had two concentric spheres, the shadow cast on the outer one from the
inner one would move at a constant speed.
  When you watch the sun disappear at a constant rate, it is because you are
standing on the inner sphere and you are not moving.

  Well it makes sense to me (I think).

  Mike Shaw

  53.37N 3.02W
  www.wiz.to/sundials