Dear Roger,

Thank you for pointing the list at this
YouTube video

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFH1lz0212o

I found that very compelling and, indeed, all
the associated 10-minute clips.

I particularly noted Al-Battani's expression
for the radius of the Earth:

         R = h.cos(phi)/(1-cos(phi))

  where  h = height of some mountain

       phi = dip to the horizon from the summit

With John Carmichael in mind, I comment that this
is the kind of thing that 14-year olds could derive
in the 1950s but Mathematics graduates have to
struggle over today :-))

The value of phi in the clip was about 0.5 degrees
and the cosine of 0.5 is 0.99996 or so close to 1
that you need 6-figure tables to make progress (or
knowledge of the series expansion for the cosine
function, or you could rearrange the expression).

I know very little about the history of mathematical
tables.  There was something in one of the clips
about the Arabs developing tables of sin and cos
but Al-Battini would need high precision to make
use of the quoted expression.

The whole procedure seems terribly sensitive to
errors in the measurements to me and if it is
true that Al-Battini determined the radius of
the Earth to 0.1% this way he was very lucky
as well as very clever!!

Thank you also for reminding the list about
God's Longitude and Simon Cassidy's work.

It is one of God's better jokes that He should
have drawn His Longitude through Washington!!!

Best wishes

Frank