----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank King" <frank.k...@cl.cam.ac.uk>
To: "Roger Bailey" <rtbai...@telus.net>
Cc: <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Sent: Sunday, August 09, 2009 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: Sorry but.....Square Roots.....Shatir Sundial

> Dear Roger,
>
> Thank you for pointing the list at this
> YouTube video
>
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFH1lz0212o
>
> I found that very compelling and, indeed, all
> the associated 10-minute clips.
>
> I particularly noted Al-Battani's expression
> for the radius of the Earth:
>
>          R = h.cos(phi)/(1-cos(phi))
>
>   where  h = height of some mountain
>
>        phi = dip to the horizon from the summit
>
> With John Carmichael in mind, I comment that this
> is the kind of thing that 14-year olds could derive
> in the 1950s but Mathematics graduates have to
> struggle over today :-))
>
> The value of phi in the clip was about 0.5 degrees
> and the cosine of 0.5 is 0.99996 or so close to 1
> that you need 6-figure tables to make progress (or
> knowledge of the series expansion for the cosine
> function, or you could rearrange the expression).
>
> I know very little about the history of mathematical
> tables.  There was something in one of the clips
> about the Arabs developing tables of sin and cos
> but Al-Battini would need high precision to make
> use of the quoted expression.
>
> The whole procedure seems terribly sensitive to
> errors in the measurements to me and if it is
> true that Al-Battini determined the radius of
> the Earth to 0.1% this way he was very lucky
> as well as very clever!!
>
> Thank you also for reminding the list about
> God's Longitude and Simon Cassidy's work.
>
> It is one of God's better jokes that He should
> have drawn His Longitude through Washington!!!
>
> Best wishes
>
> Frank

Dear Frank,
I haven't yet seen that particular video, but if phi is about 0.5 degrees,
that's about 0.0087 radians.

For such small angles sin(phi)=phi and cos(phi)=1 - (phi^2)/2
So, R=2h.(1-(phi^2)/2) / (phi^2)
or:
R+h=2h/phi^2

Not too tricky. For phi=0.0087, I presume the 'mountain' was about 240
metres high, giving
R+240=6,340,000 metres, approximately, without needing any tables of sin or
cos.

As for sensitivity to errors, I agree that 0.1% error sounds amazing, since
he'd have had to measure the angle to within 0.05%.
0.05% of 0.5 degrees is 9 arc seconds - could you really measure dip that
accurately?

Best wishes
Chris