How sharp is the point of the cone, wouldn't it be dangerous. I would hate some
kid to climb on it and hurt themselves.

Roderick Wall.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Carmichael
  To: sund...@rrz.uni-koeln.de ; 'Colby Lamb' ; hend...@analemma.nl
  Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:40 AM
  Subject: Inclining Cone Gnomons

  I have been thinking a lot about Colby Lamb's inclining cone gnomons that he
uses on his horizontal sundials, because I love conical gnomons since they have
wide pointed easily read and highly visible shadows that look like the pointed
hands of a clock.  I also just like the look of them.  These are what some
people call 'point-in-space' gnomons or nodi.  Others call them 'nodus based'
sundials.  You use the shadow of the tip of a gnomon (located on the polar
axis) to tell the time and/or solar declination.  But unlike most nodus based
sundials which are usually rods or spheres on rods, these are pointed cones.

  See photos of Colby's cone gnomon here:

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlcarmichael/3868639918/

  and

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlcarmichael/3860044836/

  There is no law that says that point-in-space gnomons need to be placed
perpendicularly (vertically) on the face.  Colby realized this and he places
his at an angle.  When I asked him why he did this, he said he did it for
purely artistic reasons. (Hendick Hollander also uses inclining cone gnomons on
his unique award winning Standard Time dials, but he does it because his design
requires it for specific gnomonic reasons which I won't get into here). I also
asked Colby if the inclining cone angle was some special angle, but if I
understood him correctly, he said that he just picked an angle that looked good.

  So here is my question.

  But I'm thinking that there just might be a good gnomonic reason to tilt a
cone gnomon on a dial's like Colby's because the shadow produced from an
inclining cone gnomon might be a better more uniform shadow than that cast by a
perpendicular cone, especially if it were angled to the North in line with the
polar axis.  I did not measure the angle of tilt of Colby's cone, but it seemed
to be smaller than the latitude polar axis angle for Portland.  If the cone was
angled to match the polar axis, then during the day, the sun would revolve
around it in a more uniform way- much more uniform than if the cone were
perpendicular to the face (vertical).  Does this make sense?

  John

  p.s.  I've discussed with Colby the advantage of blunting the sharp point on
cone gnomons because blunting the sharp point increases the time and date
readings when the shadow is long.  But angling the cone might make them even
better!

  John L. Carmichael

  Sundial Sculptures

  925 E. Foothills Dr.

  Tucson AZ 85718-4716

  USA

  Tel: 520-6961709

  Email: jlcarmich...@comcast.net

  My Websites:

  (business) Sundial Sculptures: http://www.sundialsculptures.com

  (educational) Chinook Trail Sundial:
http://advanceassociates.com/Sundials/COSprings/

  (educational) Earth & Sky Equatorial Sundial:
http://advanceassociates.com/Sundials/Earth-Sky_Dial/

  (educational) My Painted Wall Sundial:
http://www.advanceassociates.com/WallDial

  (educational) Painted Wall Sundials:
http://advanceassociates.com/WallDial/PWS_Home.html

  (educational) Stained Glass Sundials: http://www.stainedglasssundials.com

  (educational) Sundial Cupolas, Towers & Chimneys:
http://StainedGlassSundials.com/CupolaSundial/index.html

06:39:00